VITAC is a proud sponsor of the 2023 National Association of the Deaf’s Breakthrough Awards.
VITAC provided live captions for this year’s ceremony, which celebrated trailblazers who have worked to advance the deaf and hard-of-hearing (DHOH) community in the arts, media, technology, and corporate industries. The event highlighted the contributions across a variety of industries that made it possible for individuals in the DHOH community to share their talents.
Academy Award winner, author, and activist Marlee Matlin and civil rights attorney and entrepreneur Alexis Kashar chaired the 2023 event.
This year’s award recipients included:
- Tim Cook, CEO of Apple Inc.
- Troy Kotsur, Academy Award-winning actor, best known for his role in the movie “CODA”
- Lauren Ridloff, actress known for her roles in “The Walking Dead” and Marvel’s “Eternals”
- Sian Heder, Oscar-winning filmmaker best known for writing and directing the films “Tallulah” and “CODA”
- Linda Bove, actress known for her role on “Sesame Street”
- Chella Man, actor, model, artist, YouTuber, and activist.
- Howard Gordon, television writer and producer, known for his work on the series “24” and “Homeland”
- Christine Sun Kim, sound artist who uses musical notation, written language, American Sign Language, and body language in her work.
Congratulations to all the deserving honorees, and a special shout-out to our amazing captioners Brynna Kelley and Peggy Thompson who helped make the event inclusive for all!
Founded in 1880, the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) is the oldest civil rights organization in the United States, and is dedicated to preserving, protecting, and promoting the civil, human, and linguistic rights of all deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals.
The 2023 NAD Breakthrough Awards were held on Oct. 25 at the Audrey Irmas Pavilion in Los Angeles, California.