The world of captioning and accessible content can be a little daunting for those unfamiliar with how captions work. VITAC, however, has answers for you, and all just a mouse-click away.
As a leader in captioning and accessible communications for more than 35 years, we are happy to share our vast knowledge and experience with clients and consumers via our “Resources” page at vitac.com.
The page includes, among other items, client and viewer FAQs, links to our on-demand webinars, and updated technical bulletins and notes.
Our “Regulations” tab offers information on a number of federal requirements and acts, including requirements for captioned content on television and the internet in the United States and Canada; the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 508, and the Accessible Canada Act; and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
Our “Solutions” section features links to a number of free guides, studies, and ebooks on a variety of topics and in a variety of industries. Among the items available to download are:
- A beginner’s guide to captions, “Accessible Accessibility – 7 Reasons to Caption (and why it’s easy!)” explains how captions are created and offers solutions for keeping the captioning process simple.
- “Three Ways to Improve Accuracy in Closed Captions” outlines the steps that customers can take (sharing preparation materials, supplying a clear audio source, advance scheduling) to make sure that they receive the best-quality captions.
- “Accessibility in Education” explains how to create accessible classrooms, and covers the many benefits that students and staff gain when provided with captioned content and other accessibility solutions.
- “Audio Description 101” discusses, among other things, the art of audio description, how described content is used to help viewers, what information is described, and where to find audio described programming.
- “A Guide to Corporate Captioning” looks at the ins and outs of closed captioning, how captions and multi-language subtitles help corporations, and the cost (both financial and reputational) of ignoring accessible communications.
So whether you’re thinking about ordering captioning or another service, or if you’re a viewer experiencing issues with the appearance of your captions or are just curious about the world of closed captioning, we have you covered.
We believe that captioning is changing the world for the better — making it more inclusive and enriching content in ways that enhance everyone’s enjoyment and engagement. Our hope is that our “Resources” page will provide you with everything you need when it comes to ensuring access to your media.